The Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences (VIMS) at the College of William and Mary is seeking a Postdoctoral Investigator to work with Dr. Matthew Kirwan, and join an NSF-funded multi-institutional research team investigating the response of coastal landscapes to sea level rise. A full position description, including application instructions, is available here. Applications should be received within 1 month of the date of posting (6/25/2017).
Climate Action Reserve Seeks Policy Manager or Policy Associate
The position is available immediately. Interested candidates must submit the following information to the Search Committee: cover letter, resume, writing sample (maximum of 5 pages). The position is open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the header “Policy Manager Candidate” or “Policy Associate Candidate.”
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with a first-class honours degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, Physics, Marine Science or related discipline. Enthusiasm for research, an ability to think and work independently and excellent analytical skills are essential requirements.Project description: While there is a reasonable understanding of how plastic particles would be carried by currents and waves in the open ocean, the way that plastics move from the open ocean onto coastlines or from coastal waters to the ocean is not clear at all. This PhD project aims to improve understanding on how much plastic from the potential ocean stock remains in coastal waters and eventually returns to the emerged beach (“beaching”). The PhD project will encompass numerical Coastal hydrodynamics simulations with advanced Lagrangian tracking techniques and laboratory experimentation at the Imperial Hydrodynamics Lab. Application: Interested candidates should send your CV, a cover letter, transcript of academic track records and the name of two potential referees to Dr Jose M Alsina (email@example.com).Closing date: 3rd June 2017. Start date: October-November/2017.
San Diego, California
Lead specific project tasks and assist Engineering Managers in the delivery of water and wastewater projects in Southern California. Click here for more information about this position.
Brezack & Associates Planning, LLC
San Francisco Bay AreaProvide technical support to challenging projects that will require technical investigations, regulatory permitting, design, computer modeling, field sampling, cost estimation, funding assistance, and services during construction. Click here for more information about this position.
Atkins – San DiegoThe Senior Project Manager will support and lead projects for water and wastewater clients in the greater San Diego County area, including planning, designing and preparing plans related to water and wastewater infrastructure which may be comprised of water distribution and sewage collection systems, pump stations, reservoirs, hydraulic structures, and water/wastewater treatment facilities.
Two Post-Doctoral Positions in Coastal Hydrodynamics
Two post-doctoral positions in the framework of HYD2M (Measurements and Modelling of the hydrodynamic processes in Alderney Race are available: one dealing with HF radar measurements in Brest at FEM/LOPS and one dealing with in-situ measurements in Cherburg at LUSAC/IRSN. More information about these positions is available here.
Post-Doctoral Position on Parametric Shape Optimization in Hydraulics
The Saint-Venant Hydraulics Laboratory seeks to fill an 18 month post-doctoral position in the field of parametric shape optimization for hydraulic and environmental problems. The aim of this post-doctoral position is to develop an efficient numerical tool based on the TELEMAC system able to deliver optimal shape design for hydraulic engineering applications. Successful applicants should, by the start of the appointment, have a Ph.D., or equivalent experience in Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, Computer Sciences or Mechanical/Civil Engineering. Experience of high performance numerical computing and/or programming are highly desirable. Applicants should send to Drs. Riadh Ata (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Cedric Goeury (email@example.com) a CV and a cover letter. All applications completed by May 15th 2017 will receive full consideration, but candidates are urged to submit all required material as soon as possible.
Full-Time Research Position Open at IRD
For this position you can apply to any IRD-affiliated lab. Depending on your
favorite topic, you may fit better in one or the other. We are particularly
focused on coastal hazards related to waves & storms (including typhoons)
and coastal circulation. More information is available here.
Job Vacancy in BMT JFA for a Maritime/Coastal Engineer
BMT JFA is seeking a degree-qualified Maritime/Coastal Engineer in the field of Civil Engineering, with up to a nominal 5 years’ experience. This opportunity would be ideally suited to enthusiastic and highly motivated individual with demonstrated maritime/coastal qualifications and experience with an interest in work on maritime related projects. More information about this opportunity in Perth, Australia is available here.
Faculty Position in Coastal Disease Ecology
Coastal Engineering Position – Current Opening
Davis, Bowen & Friedel, Inc., seeks an experienced coastal engineer for its
Easton, MD office. Duties shall include, but not limited to design, permit
acquisition and contract administration for shoreline and marina type
projects, including sea level fluctuation evaluations beneficial use of
dredged material; numerical modeling of dredged material projects within a
water body; the use of segmented, detached breakwaters to protect cohesive
shores; shoreline and sediment budget analysis; multilane boat ramps; marina
development; bulkhead analysis & design; and stone jetty analysis & design.
The National Science Foundation (NSF) NHERI (Natural Hazards Engineering Research Infrastructure) RAPID Facility is hiring a Research Scientist to fill our Site Operations Specialist position at the University of Washington in Seattle. The full position description and application information is available here.
DHI is looking for an expert in estuarine morphological processes and advanced numerical models as a tool for solving real engineering problems. We offer a position where you will be working with DHI’s advanced model portfolio for specialist consultancy and become an important contributor to improve, develop and apply our advanced modelling tools for estuarine and marine problems. For further information, please contact Dr. Nicholas Grunnet, Head of Dept. for Coastal and Estuarine Dynamics, DHI Denmark, at firstname.lastname@example.org , or +45 45 16 95 54.Please submit your application including CV via the relevant job posting on DHI’s website.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT – I Love A Clean San Diego
The Administrative Assistant will provide front line office support, manage office operations, and respond to volunteer inquiries. This position will act as an Executive Assistant to the Executive Director, support the Finance department, and provide administrative assistance for the ILACSD team and its programs.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Full time, Non-Exempt (hourly)
Pay Rate: $13.00 – 16.00 per hour
Furthermore, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for the following activities:
- Operate, monitor and maintain office equipment & associated vendors
- Manage office technology contracts, contacts, maintenance, trouble-shooting and staff training
- Manage general business operations including mail, postage, and supply orders
- Assist the Executive Director as requested, including support at monthly board meetings
- Assist with donor stewardship including entries in DonorPerfect, letters, tracking, and researching opportunities
- Answer administrative phone lines and respond to walk-in inquiries
- Back up Recycling Call Center as needed
- Support the maintenance, care, and storage of ILACSD office, kitchen, and program supplies
- Respond to volunteer inquiries including details about upcoming volunteer opportunities, and checking in and out cleanup supplies, and storm drain stencil kits
- Ongoing in-office and external event planning and coordination; lead office culture & core values
- Provide programmatic, contract, and grant support as needed
- Develop and prepare materials, informational packages, correspondence and mailings
- Attend organization events
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working in an office – General office skills and business correspondence
- Exceptional attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- High level of organization and eagerness to help out
- Self- starter, quick learner, and savvy with technology
- Extremely proficient with Microsoft Office suite
- Professional with good phone and customer service skills
- Friendly, willing to help others, and dedication to the environment
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) (a plus)
- Must have access to reliable transportation and a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be able to lift and move objects up to 40 lbs
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Employer-sponsored health and dental plans
- Paid time off (PTO) plan (after 90 days)
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- Alternative Work Schedule opportunity after 90 days
I Love A Clean San Diego is a values-driven organization so it’s essential all team members exhibit ILACSD’s following core values and office culture:
- Live the mission
- Inspire environmental change
- Value partnerships
- Exhibit positive attitude
- Communicate openly to ensure collaboration
- Understanding and supportive of each other and the team
- Respect others and value their opinions
- Encourage learning and growth
If interested in applying, send resume and cover letter in a word or pdf format to Erika Van Sickel at email@example.com. No calls please.
Postdoc Positions in Wave Modeling at Kyoto University
RPS is a global science and technology solutions company. There are currently several job openings in the Rhode Island office, including anenvironmental scientist/oceanographer, an environmental chemist/oceanographer, a marine geologist/oceanographer, and an Intermediate to Senior Level Microsoft .NET Software Developer. To apply for these positions, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Post-Doc Opportunities at National University of Singapore
The university’s research project investigates coastal flooding hazard caused by typhoon and its associated extreme weather (e.g. heavy rainfall) in Southeast Asia. The university is inviting two competent researchers to join the project as Research Fellows. The first RF should have a strong background in coastal engineering or related research areas. The second RF should have a strong background in Atmospheric Science, hydrological science or related research areas. Interested applicants can send a CV and representative publication(s) to Prof. Philip L-F. Liu, National University of Singapore at email@example.com.
Mott MacDonald is looking for aSenior Coastal Modeller. This position represents a key addition to our well-established team of numerical modellers and coastal scientists with strategic links into a multidisciplinary environment.You will work in a team of numerical modellers working closely with our coastal project teams leading or contributing to a diverse range of project deliverables. More information about this opportunity is available here.
This position is responsible for determining and developing and implementing an effective environmental program and providing consultation on a wide range of challenging environmental science and regulatory requirements. More information is available here.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time, fixed term, three-year position as a postdoctoral researcher with the Discipline of Geography at the National University of Ireland, Galway. More information is available here (scroll down to Jan. 18).
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the Univ. of Colorado Boulder has an opening for a multibeam bathymetry data manager working with NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). We are looking for a scientist with experience managing large data sets, automating processing of data, describing data with standard metadata, and maintaining relational database systems. More details can be found here
The Senior Scientist is a part of our leadership team and will help guide the Council’s project implementation and policy efforts, as well as fieldwork related to watershed-wide monitoring programs and green infrastructure performance monitoring. Click here to view posting
The Director for Development and Strategic Partnerships is an integral member of the Management Team and will be responsible for providing leadership, training, and goal setting. Click here to view posting
This position is responsible for the leadership and management of the State and Federal Contractors Water Agency (SFCWA) in achieving the agency’s mission and strategic goals consistent with its implementing policies, managing its assets and resources, and directing all administrative, operational, and financial activities consistent with policies established by the Board of Directors. Read the entire job description final-sfcwa-executive-director-flyer-1-4-17.
I Love A Clean San Diego is in the business of change. Help us awaken passion and inspire environmental action, as we work to improve the health and beauty of San Diego. If you’re looking for a dynamic, impact-driven organization that values passion and professionalism, we want to meet you! I Love A Clean San Diego is passion in action.
REPORTS TO: Education Manager
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Full time, Non-Exempt
PAY RATE: $12.50-$14/hour, commensurate with experience; mileage reimbursement ($0.54 or current CA reimbursement rate)
The Education Specialist shall be responsible for supporting ILACSD’s Education department to implement its programs, contracts, grants, and events. Duties will include presenting to schools and community organizations, as well as attending events throughout San Diego County. Other duties include marketing and scheduling presentations, and administrative duties.
- Coordinate and implement contract and grant programs within ILACSD’s Education department
- Researching, scheduling, marketing, and delivery of presentations
- Tracking and reporting of delivered and scheduled presentations
- Manage the maintenance and care of department supplies, inventory, purchasing, and proper and timely storage
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with schools, community groups/organizations, civic organizations, clubs, and governmental agencies
- Assist with curriculum development and department planning
- Assist with the Education Department events (Kids Ocean Day, Nearby Nature, Zero Waste Workshops)
- Assist with scheduling & coordinating Program Assistants and Educators as needed
- Attendance at various community events
- Attend community meetings when appropriate to further expand organization’s presence in the community
- Additional organizational and community support as necessary
- Other duties to support the ILACSD team
- College degree and environmental and/or education background/experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to educate, inspire, and empower
- Commitment to working in a team environment
- Effective communication skills for diverse audiences, including strong writing skills
- Experience working with youth and children, teaching experience
- Reliable transportation; ability and willingness to travel
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Flexible start and end times, dependent on scheduled presentations
- Ability to work occasional weekends
- Microsoft Office proficiency (especially PowerPoint)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
- Naturalist skills/experience a plus
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Paid time off (PTO) plan
- Employer-sponsored health and dental plans
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- Alternative Work Schedule opportunity after 90 days
To apply: please send resume, availability, and cover letter to Emily Nelson, Education Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.